It’s important to obtain this decision right, because then later decide to apply to colleges that require it, you cannot take the SAT/ACT essay section by itself—you would need to retake the entire test if you don’t take the SAT/ACT essay now but. Additionally, some universities will elect to not consist of non-essay SAT/ACT administrations inside their “super rating” calculation of one’s tests.
Making your choice, in summary
Use the essay if some of the after are real:
1. There was a possibility that is reasonable you may opt to connect with universities that want the SAT/ACT essay, OR
2. There was a possibility that is reasonable you are going to affect “reach” or “match” colleges that suggest the essay, OR
Just like countless choices within the testing/college admissions procedure, selecting whether or not to simply take the essay that is SAT/ACT on your own university list.
-Check out this post for fundamental help with beginning your university list.
-When you are willing to talk more about your university list, subscribe to North to My Future, your free college admissions session that is strategy.
-Finally, before you go for expert help with finalizing your university list, always check away our premium university admissions consulting programs.
3. You’ve got currently done reasonably well (scores of 14+ out of 24 regarding the SAT or 7+ out of 12 regarding the ACT) 1 for a training essay that is SAT/ACT. How come we state this? If you’re already fairly adept (or better) in the SAT/ACT essay, it should be fairly simple to enhance your rating throughout the SAT/ACT prep you are currently likely to do. Our SAT/ACT Prep Class include essay prep at no extra cost (for SAT/ACT Individual Prep programs, you’ve got the choice to include 1 hour of essay instruction), and essay prep needs a time investment that is minimal. For instance, within our ACT Prep Class, we invest about 1.5 hours of course time within the essay, and during the last year, pupils whom took the essay improved their essay score an average of 1.8 points (regarding the 2-12 scale).
Because enhancing your essay rating is fairly simple if you’re already experienced in writing, you might also shortly get ready for then use the essay to display your abilities for universities that fall into the “essay recommend” camp.
Need certainly to look at your essay abilities? Our free practice SAT and ACT tests include an essay score and rubric.
Start thinking about skipping the essay if every one of the after are real:
1. You understand with reasonable certainty you will never be deciding on a universities that want the SAT/ACT essay, AND
2. You scored below average (under 14 away from 24 regarding the SAT or under 7 away from 12 in the ACT) on a practice SAT/ACT essay, showing maybe it’s more challenging to boost your rating in to a range that is competitive. (Note: if you’re using the SAT/ACT Prep Class, where essay prep is roofed into the course, we advice doing essay prep anyhow to see where your rating falls by Practice Test 2.)
Advantages of Taking the Essay
-The essay is a way to demonstrate proficiency on paper. It really is a good way to provide your admissions profile a boost (albeit a little one), particularly when you’re currently great at writing, or you like to display your skills written down to simply help make up for reduced grades in English classes.
-Compared to the remaining portion of the SAT/ACT, finding your way through the essay frequently calls for merely a time that is small to produce significant enhancement (see just what we composed above).
-If you take the essay and attain a reasonable rating, you may not need to worry about the essay requirement/recommendation as you finalize your university list.
Downsides of Taking the Essay
-Taking the essay will need one more 40-50 moments of energy on test time, plus, in the event that you prep with Frontier Tutoring, a couple of hours of committed preparation time. Registering for the official SAT/ACT essay additionally costs a supplementary $14 – $17.
Day-It’s theoretically possible that you could perform very poorly on the essay on test. But, presuming you prepare beforehand, this result is unlikely—generally, you need to expect to rating in the range that is same your newest training test suggests. Also, it was acknowledged that the essay has questionable validity that is predictive therefore scoring somewhat below your target rating regarding the essay is not likely to be materially harmful for admissions purposes. Eventually, you have got more to get than you need to lose by get yourself ready for and using the essay.
Main Point Here
If there’s a chance that is reasonable be applying to universities that want or suggest the SAT/ACT essay, go right ahead and go on it. Like the majority of items that want to do write my essay with university admissions, this means the starting place for this choice is developing an initial college list—it’s as easy so that as complicated as that. The good thing is on your journey that we have plenty of resources to help you. Below is a directory of the resources we now have talked about in this post to help you get started. As constantly, please go ahead and call us with questions regarding your own personal situation.
North to My Future (free university admissions session that is strategy
The Frontier 49 (GPA and SAT/ACT norms for admitted candidates at 49 colleges that are popular
Colleges That Want the SAT/ACT Essay
Record present at the time of September 6, 2018; verify all universities on your own list prior to making your choice
Soka University of America
U.S. Military Academy (West Point)
University of California (Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, Hillcrest, Santa Barbara, and Santa Cruz)
University of Delaware
University of Miami
Colleges That Suggest the SAT/ACT Essay
Record present as of September 6, 2018; verify all universities in your list before you make your final decision
Abilene Christian University
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
University of Massachusetts-Amherst
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
SUNY Stony Brook
1 they are the approximate average that is national for the SAT/ACT essay parts. Supply: CollegeBoard and ACT, Inc. 2017 National Reports. Even though it is perhaps not simple to ascertain essay that is median for admitted students (in comparison to determining median overall SAT/ACT scores for admitted pupils), particular schools (for instance the University of Ca system) do get this to information public. We do not suggest spending significant amount of time in determining a defined target rating for the essay it self; the greater significant choice is whether or perhaps not or otherwise not to take it, and then preparing sufficiently to achieve a respectable score if you are taking it.